Monday, September 8, 2014

Days 3,4, and 5

So last week was a little hectic here and at home so I fell behind on my 30 days. Today is a catch-up day!

Day 3: An "observation" area I'd like to improve on... Well this one is hard- not that I don't need to improve, but I'm not sure what I would like to improve on is on our formal observations forms.  For me, professionally, I would like to improve at promoting and managing action within my classroom. I see so many great ideas out there that allow child the ability to get creative and use what they have learned to create and build and do! The problem for me is management.  Management of time, materials, and then balancing it out with the actual "curriculum".  Let's face it the creative part is missing from most classrooms- mine included.  But, I often wonder what is the point of all this learning and "rigor" if children aren't able to put it into action.  Maybe I need to create a time after school for such activities.  I would like to find time to balance out the learning that we do- with the "What can we do now with what we have learned? How can I take action?"

Day 4: What do I love most about teaching?  I love kids.  I love that they are so eager to want to learn.  We also say parents are trusting us teachers with their children and we take over when they are here. But, we forget that the children are trusting us to. We become their source of comfort when they get in a fight with a friend, or have a headache. We teach them that compassion comes not only from your family, but from your friends and teachers.  I love that I am able to share this with children through actions, and words.

Day 5:

This is a  classroom that promotes cooperation and engagement with peers.  You can see a library full of books that reach the interest level of almost every child.  It is a cozy place where learning and interaction take place. You don't see 22 children that make this classroom run- without them I would have no purpose.  Each day it is them that I think about as I plan my lessons or argue for changes in curriculum.  You don't see the amount of time and energy spent in and out of the classroom to make it run- and run well.  You can't see the friendships that are formed  through mutual trust and respect between myself and my students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment