Sunday, November 30, 2014

Learning Targets

      Tomorrow will be our first supervisory walk-through.  It is stressful, no doubt about that.  The focus I am sure will be our learning targets and the way kids are able to articulate their understanding of just what they are doing.  Having learning targets presented to children is nothing new.  I remember doing them back when I used the SIOP model in my classroom.  Students were given the objectives for each lesson.  Now though it is a little different- these learning targets need to be written in a student friendly way called and " I can" statement.
       For example,  "RL 4.3  I can uncover reasons for a character's’ thoughts, words, and actions, and use them to describe the character". Now I will still say that if my students don't know what they are doing and have to refer to an " I can" statement in my classroom then I am not doing my job. The purpose of each lesson should be given at the beginning and the end so students can articulate their job once they leave. I don't think that it will make a big difference as to whether or not the student will be successful, like I said it's my job to be sure they know what they are doing and why they are doing it. What good is an " I can" statement if the child can't read it- say a kindergartner. Again, it comes back to being explicit and concise in your teaching so your lesson is focused enough so that the child knows what they are doing.
So, while you think on this I am off to type of up my " I can" statements for our next units and get them in my fancy new table tents. How does your district use learning targets?

No comments:

Post a Comment