Monday, November 10, 2014

What do I believe about how students learn?

     So yep, another challenge.  Reflecting on my teaching and pushing my willingness to share inner thoughts even further.  
     How do children learn? Well, my philosophy is that children learn by doing. They learn by getting in and getting their hands dirty in the process of discovery.  There are certainly times where we must tell them explicitly what we are doing, and why- but often times we can have them come to those answers on their through inquiry.
     Inquiry based teaching and learning is the most fun, yet a challenging way for me to approach the curriculum.  It can be challenging to find ways to bring inquiry into the curriculum, but once you find a rhythm the lessons come naturally to both you and the students.  I have seen over the years as my knowledge of inquiry based teaching develops so has my students ability to use questioning to guide their learning. They are more apt to take on their own projects and wonders.
   I love that this year I have been able to squeeze out some time for the students to tackle their passion projects.  These are student driven, based on their own wonders and ideas.  I have had kids present on everything from making tutus, finding bigfoot, and explaining how the heart works. It was amazing to see their desire to learn and apply what they have been taught to their own passions.  I hope this is something that I can continue in addition to curriculum constraints.
   If you're looking for resources on how to start with inquiry based teaching and learning, or the additional component problem based learning, check out the list below!


Now this book, though geared for middle school, definitely has some good ideas about how to make the connection between science and math through inquiry.   Have you ever seen 3 Act Math? Check that out- I love using it during engagement. It does need some modification at the elementary level.  


Not gonna lie- science is my passion.  It is the easiest place to fit inquiry into on a daily basis.  

This book is just a general overview of inquiry at the K-5 level.  

No comments:

Post a Comment